Home Tollywood News Cinema Gola Political News Hyderabad Mania
Custom Search
Google

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Yes I can play Vidya's dad?

There's a rumour that Boman is saying no to more roles per week than one can keep track of. He admits it's time for him to slow down. "I don't like saying no. It's very tough. But there're very special people whom I've said no to because I don't want to be away from home for months on-end."

But acting has never been more fun. Though Boman isn't playing the baby in Hey Baby, he feels like a child once again. "Everything I ever wanted to do as a child I am doing now. I got to do stunt driving in Don. And for Goal I not only got to see football matches but also got to play the game. I feel I'm living a dream."

To play Lucky Singh in Lage Raho…Munnabhai Boman spent months with the Sadar community. "I used to spend a lot of time in the auto spare-parts shops on Grant Road. It was great fun…and I got lovely insights into Sikh sensitivites.

There was this guy who said, 'Let me tell you, Sardar are not only jokey. Sardar are also sensitive.' I made my Sardar character weep in Lage Raho…Munnabhai … Now Goal was also great fun. I learnt so much about football. And that was possible only because I played this guy at one stretch.

And to do that, I need to cut down my assignments. If you put on a false beard, you might succeed. But nothing like real facial hair. For Goal I was in London from start to finish. Likewise Don."

After a long battle with his conscience Boman Irani has decided to say no to assignments.

For instance Shashi Ranjan's Dhoom Dhadaka which Anupam Kher is doing.

"It's hard to say no to good people offering interesting roles and decent money. But I really need time to spend with my family. And I won't cut down on that at any cost. It's very simple, really. I get tired working the whole day. And I can't come home tired every day. I love being on sets.

But I love that time with my family in the evening when we all sit on the bed and I tell them everything. I miss that when I'm away for long stretches. I was in Australia for Hey Baby, then London for Goal and finally Yorkshire for IIFA. I'm back now. And feeling very relieved"

In Goal Boman plays a tired football coach. "I tried to play as little as a clichéd as possible. I play a guy who has the guts to stare at the mirror and not flinch. And I make the others on the team do the same. Though I don't play football in the film I did play to prepare for my role. Unless you play the game you can't be teaching it."

In Hey Baby Boman plays Vidya Balan's dad. "One little moustache and a mole did the trick. And working with the two Sajids (director Sajid Khan and producer Sajid Nadiadwala) was so much fun. Too much fun on that set, I tell you. Sajid Khan had us choking with laughter. I don't know how the movie got made. We just sailed through it."

At home Boman has a loving wife and two sons. "And a daughter….my dog Laila. My elder son Danesh is 21… Now are you convinced that I can play Vidya Balan's dad? I was 25 when I got married. When I decided on the girl I wanted to marry, I immediately married her."

Boman's elder son isn't keen on films. "I don't think Danesh is interested in movies. In fact he leaves for his Masters to New Jersey. The younger one Kayur is 18.He's into editing, making short films. They're both big shams at home. They take their mother for a big royal ride.

No comments:

 


Google Custom Search