Home Tollywood News Cinema Gola Political News Hyderabad Mania
Custom Search
Google

Friday, July 27, 2007

Blog: Making peace with Salman Khan

My Dear Salman,

You must be flush with the success of your latest movie, and given your superstar status, you may not care less, but I have a confession to make.

I have finally made my peace with you.

You may be shaking your head with incredulity, since you certainly have never heard of me, and probably never will, given the very different worlds we inhabit. However, I know all about you. From how your face has changed over the years (did even you realize that a year ago, your face had softened a bit around the edges, but has regained its chiseled look now), to the color of the shorts you wore in a certain song sequence to details of all your relationships. Before you start worrying about me being a stalker, let me lay you at rest. I am no stalker. Indeed I can't even say I am much of a fan of yours.

What I am is the husband of someone who is an incorrigibly devoted fan of yours.

Such a devoted fan that when I told her I had an idea of writing a piece about you, she grabbed me by the collar, threatening me not to make fun of you or your often shirtless status, something I do find a mildly amusing substitute for acting. On reading this line, she is now sulking next to me.

While I say that today I have made my peace with you, it wasn't always the case.

Some three years ago, when I first met my wife, I would bristle at times when she'd get all tongue-tied at the mention of your name or seeing a trailer for one of your movies. At that time, I must confess to having fallen prey to the green eyed monster more than once, feeling the helpless envy of a man who could never hope to compare with the larger than life persona of a superstar. A man whose feeble attempts at staying fit could never compare with your gym sculpted biceps and whose wisecracks could never compare with the wit and charm that comes with retakes and professional scriptwriters.

Over time, as our relationship blossomed and we got married, I began to see you as something I would have to accept as part of the territory. An occupational hazard of sorts, much as I suspect, she would view my bemoaning the difficulty of using the chainsaw bayonet in Gears of War on my Xbox 360 or boring her with outlines for my latest book.

Of late, as I've learnt what goes into creating a great relationship the only way one can- by immersing oneself in it every day, I have come to see you in a totally different light. I guess after a point, every relationship reaches a stage when one stops thinking what each individual enjoys more. What's important is just being together, and doing things together, whatever the excuse that brings that togetherness. So today I realize that seeing her eyes light up on seeing you on screen is not a threat, but indeed a treat, because seeing her happy is what matters more than my once insecure ego. I have learnt that being in love with one's partner and being a fan of a screen idol are not mutually exclusive.

In a real way, how I relate to you has mirrored, or perhaps even catalyzed, what I have learnt about relationships over the last couple of years.

So Salman, from someone who isn't even much of a fan, the very best of luck. Keep doing what you do best, and keep bringing a smile to the face of your fans- especially my wife.

Best regards,

Mainak

No comments:

 


Google Custom Search